Application Process – Undergraduate Kenan Scholars Program
All UNC first-year students who are interested in becoming a Kenan Scholar should also apply for selection in the UNC Kenan-Flagler Undergrad Business Program.
All UNC first-year students are invited to apply for the Kenan Institute’s Undergrad Kenan Scholars Program (UKSP) through the Kenan-Flagler Undergrad Business Program’s application (online June 1, 2017). The application deadline is September 1, 2017.
To be considered for admittance, all applicants should be prepared to submit the following:
- A 300-500 word statement articulating why the applicant would like to join the Kenan Scholars Program.
- Two brief essays (less than 300 words each) addressing any two of the questions from the following list:
- If you could solve a public policy challenge, what would you choose and why?
- How can the private sector serve the public good?
- Which Kenan Institute affiliated center aligns best with your career interests? Please describe.
- If you could change into any animal besides a human, what would you become and why?
- What personal or professional achievement are you most proud of and why?
- What do you think will be the most important issues affecting our society in the next 15 years? What can the business community do to address these issues?
- Should government be run like a business – why or why not?
- A copy of the applicant’s resume.
Application & Selection Timeline
Upon receipt of the admission notification from Kenan-Flagler’s UBP on October 16, finalists will be invited to interview with the selection committee in mid- to late October. Final selection decisions and offers will be made by mid-November.
Adhering to the Kenan-Flagler Undergrad Business Program’s selection standard, the Kenan Scholars Program seeks candidates with an exceptional potential for success. Attributes and qualities include: academic excellence, depth of thought and intellectual curiosity, motivation and drive, excellent communications skills, strong leadership potential, and a global mindset for business.
In addition to the attributes and qualities listed above, Kenan Scholar candidates must be committed to the mission of the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise, and must have an interest in furthering their research capability as well as completing their chosen research projects in addition to the required business curriculum.
Scholars are selected based on their past experiences, dedication and the degree to which their future goals align with the mission of the Kenan Scholars Program and the Kenan Institute.
Contact Lingmei Howell
Director of Kenan Scholars Program
Director of Outreach
Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise
email@example.com • 919.962.2686