Application Process – Kenan Scholars Program
UNC sophomores are invited to apply. Applicants apply through the UNC Kenan-Flagler Undergraduate Business Program’s online application (online June 1, 2018). The application deadline is Sept. 1, 2018.
To be considered for admittance, all applicants must submit the following:
- A 300-500 word statement on the applicant’s interest in the Kenan Scholars Program
- Two brief essays (200-300 words each) addressing two of the questions from the following list:
- If you could solve a public policy challenge, what would you choose and why?
- How can the private sector serve the public good?
- Which Kenan Institute affiliated center aligns best with your career interests? Please describe.
- What personal and professional achievement related to addressing the public good are you most proud of and why?
- What do you think will be the most important issues affecting our society in the next 15 years? What can the business community do to address these issues?
- Provide both of the following:
- Descriptive titles of previous research projects or research-related work
- Topics you would be interested in researching as a Kenan Scholar
- Share plans or interest in securing your end-of-sophomore-year internship in the public sector (nonprofit, policy and/or government sector)
- A copy of the applicant’s resume
Students invited to interview for the Kenan Scholars Program must be admitted to Kenan-Flagler Business School. Program finalists will be invited to interview with the Kenan Scholars’ selection committee in mid- to late October. Final selection decisions and offers will be made by mid-November.
The Kenan Scholars Program seeks candidates with exceptional potential for success who exhibit:
- Academic excellence
- Strong interest in research
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Strong leadership potential
- Superior communication skills
- Genuine interest in learning and working across the business, academic, policy and/or government sectors
Kenan Scholars value working collaboratively across the public and private sectors to advance the public good.
Kenan Scholars are expected to participate fully in all programming, which includes completing a senior research project.